Rebecca Heltzer, J.D.
I have been practicing law in Minnesota State and Federal courts for over 26 years. I provide my clients practical advice with an eye toward finding a cost effective and acceptable solution to their legal issues.
I realize that contacting a lawyer can be a stressful time in your life fraught with uncertainty as to how the process will go, what to expect and how much it will cost. I endeavor to take the mystery out of hiring an attorney by providing you a realistic estimate of the cost of the legal services you need and the potential outcomes based upon the choices you make.
My practice areas include real property law, landlord/tenant disputes, shareholder disputes, litigation, administrative law, corporate law, construction law, contracts, collections, probate, wills and trusts.
I contribute where I can to our community and my roots run deep here in Minnesota.
I am originally from St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Growing up in Minnesota, I took every opportunity to 'go north' and enjoy our great outdoors going many times to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. I even spent one cherished summer at the end of the Sawbill Trail working for an outfitter.
My love for the outdoors expanded from canoe country to backpacking in the Canadian Rockies and the Canadian Coastal Range. It should be no surprise then that I attended college at Colorado State University to be closer to the mountains and the out of doors. I came back to Minnesota to attend law school and have remained here, again enjoying all that Minnesota has to offer, from biking trails to the theater, to great music, to opportunities to play ice hockey and cross country ski.
Bar Admission and Affiliations
- Colorado State University, B.S. Natural Resource Management, December 1984
- William Mitchell College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1989
- Minnesota State Bar, admitted October 1989
- United States District Court, Minnesota, admitted 1989
- United States District Court, Colorado, admitted 2018
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, admitted 1994
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association's Diversity Committee
- Participant, Minnesota State Bar Association's Unmarried Couples Task Force, 2009-2010
- Member, Ramsey County Bar Association
- Former Board Chair and Director, Training to Serve
- Former Board Chair and Director, Wayside House, Inc.
- Former Director of New Foundations, Inc.
- Former President and Director of Minnesota Girls' and Women's Hockey Association (now known as WHAM)
- Former President and Director Minnesota NARAL
- "Domestic Partnership Agreements." Estate Planning For Non-Traditional Families Deskbook, 2nd Ed. Chapter Author. Update to be published December 2012.
- "Domestic Partnership Agreements." Estate Planning For Non-Traditional Families Deskbook, 1st and 2nd Ed. Chapter Author. December 2010.
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers- MN, October 11, 2013
Presentation: Same Sex Marriage Comes to Minnesota- What Now?
- Ramsey County Bar Association CLE, February 27, 2013
Presentation: Upside Down Property in a Topsy Turvy Dissolution:
Dealing with Real Estate Realities in Unfavorable Conditions
- Hennepin County Bar Association CLE, September 27, 2012
Presentation: Justice for All? GLBT Perspectives on the Judicial System
- Supportive Housing Conference, September 2012
Presentation with Hart-Shegos Inspection Services, LLC: Understanding and Responding to Bed Bugs
- Hennepin County Bar Association Family Law Section and Probate and Trust Law Section CLE, May 15, 2012
Presentation: Love, Kids, and Death: Family and Estate Planning for Non-Traditional Families
- Minnesota Gerontological Society Conference, April 27, 2012
Presentation: Serving LGBT Older Adults: Are you Ready?
- Ramsey County Bar Association Family Law Section, February 2012
Presentation: From Cradle to Grave and All the Drama In Between: Family Planning for GLBT Couples
- Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, December 8, 2010
Presentation: Estate Planning For Non-Traditional Families